Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Winter Blahs

I just looked at the calendar. January is just about over and it feel like I have had more days out of school than in school thanks to the nasty cold weather. Tomorrow is pajama day at the preschool in celebration of National Lutheran Schools Week. Good thing I can wear my long underwear under my jammy bottoms!

I have been posting healthy recipes on an events page for the Made to Crave Bible study I am participating in. Yesterday I added an old favorite that my cousin, Jeanne, shared with me years ago. I decided to share it here too. It is called cheese potato soup.

                                         Cheese Potato Soup
8 cups warm water
8 chicken bouillon cubes
8 medium diced potatoes
2 bags shredded cabbage
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded carrots

Combine above and simmer 1 hour.  Add 3/4 pound of lite Velveeta (cubed). Stir frequently until cheese is melted.                (1 cup = 1 Weight Watchers point)

Another new favorite in our house is Cinnamon Roll Cake. Someone posted this on Facebook and I decided I had to try it out for a friend's birthday. Even my hubby who doesn't like cake said this was a keeper!

3 cups flour                                                 Topping:  1 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt                                                                  1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar                                                                 2 T flour
4 tsp baking powder                                                    1 T cinnamon
11/2 cups milk                                             Glaze:     2 cups powdered sugar
2 eggs                                                                        6-7 T milk
2 tsp vanilla                                                                 1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix everything together, except melted butter. Slower stir in the melted butter and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  For the topping, mix altogether until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Put into a preheated 350 degree over for 28 - 32 minutes. While warm, make glaze and drizzle over the cake.  Serve warm. Excellent reheated in the microwave for about 15 seconds.

I hope these recipes help you get rid of your winter blahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment